Tuesday 1 January 2013

New Year, New Runners

I went for a perfect eight mile run this morning.  Ok, perfect in the sense that it is January 1.  It was cloudy, a bit chilly (in the 30's), and a bit windy, but all things considered, no ice or snow or gale force winds.  I was healthy and I was happy. 

I expected Central Park to be quieter at 9 am than it was.  I saw plenty of happy dogs chasing balls, happy tourists reading maps, and happy runners doing what they loved best.  What I was surprised to see, and shouldn't have been I guess, was the disproportionally large number of new runners.  Since I was on the outer six mile path, there weren't as many.  But when I passed the Reservoir, or the Jacqueline Onassis Reservoir to those who are not familiar with Central Park, it was so crowded, I didn't know how people were actually moving.  The Reservoir's path distance is approximately one and a half miles, offering beautiful views of the city's skyline.  It's perfect for a new runner.   I actually thought a lot of people would be sleeping off their New Year's Eve celebrations, and start their New Year's Resolutions on the weekend, or next week Monday.  But no, there they were. 

I've been running for approximately twenty eight years, consistently.  I wish all these new runners only the best and I hope to see them on the path in six months. 

I know I'll be there.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment